Data Portal @ linkeddatafragments.org

DBpedia 2014

Search DBpedia 2014 by triple pattern

Matches in DBpedia 2014 for { ?s ?p The A.W. Patterson House is a historic house in Muskogee, Oklahoma. Located at the intersection of 14th Street and West Okmulgee, it is situated at the crest of a hill near the western edge of the downtown Muskogee neighborhood. It was built in 1906, before Oklahoma achieved statehood in 1907. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.The house features several Richardsonian Romanesque qualities including a limestone rock coursed ashlar wall finish, a round arched entryway and round arched window surrounds, and the low-pitched red clay tile-covered hip roof with cross gables in front. The home was designed by McKibban & McKibban, an architectural firm which designed many of Muskogee's early commercial buildings. The heavy stone arches utilized limestone quarried from Carthage, Missouri. It was built with four covered porches, including the main south entry, the north side entry from the detached garage, and two interior covered porches, one which spreads the entire width of the home on the east side, overlooking downtown Muskogee to the east. There is also a covered porch on the second floor of the south side.The open covered porch on the east side of the home had its own source of water supply and was large enough to accommodate a full-sized hammock, surrounded by five half-moon arched open window areas. The house has a full walkout basement with several separate rooms. The large foyer entry way inside the main entry door on the south side has dual sidelight clear lead-glass windows with beveled panes behind carved stone benches which straddle the front porch. This porch, with nearly a dozen steps up to the front door is the scene of many historical family photos and group photos for civic and social organizations within the city.The Patterson home was the home of two prominent Muskogee businessmen. A. W. Patterson was co-founder of the Bank of Muskogee in 1901 which later was renamed the Muskogee National Bank and he served as its president until 1918. Patterson was the driving force in promoting the Arkansas River as a navigable body of water and was the instrumental figure in the construction of Muskogee's Convention Hall which was the site of the Trans-Mississippi Commercial Congress held in 1907. Patterson lived in the home until the 1920s. In 1941, the home was purchased by L. R. Kershaw, one of Muskogee's community leaders.Kershaw was active in local politics, was an experienced lawyer, banker, farmer, rancher and court-appointed receiver for over a dozen National Banks before and during the Great Depression. One of the banks which he served as the receiver for, as an appointee by the Comptroller of the Currency, was the merged Muskogee National Bank and the Security National Bank of Muskogee. He was one of the original founders of the Eastern Oklahoma Electric Traction Company, and gained national notoriety as a breeder and showman of registered Aberdeen-Angus cattle during the 1920s, '30's and '40's and he also developed numerous residential subdivisions in the city. The home remained in the Kershaw family until 1973, or four years after the death of L. R. Kershaw. The home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, by the National Park Service, in 1984 as property #84003322.. }

Showing items 1 to 1 of 1 with 100 items per page.